Software Engineer - Full Stack Developer
We’re looking for a software developer ready to help save lives and change lives by applying cutting edge technology to mental health and wellness. Every day, thousands of kids, veterans, families, and New York residents of all sorts reach out to us for help by phone, chat, and text message. Our trained counselors help them and connect them to health resources.
As part of a software engineering team at MHA-NYC, under the supervision of the Lead Architect, you will assist in designing, developing, and implementing software applications with an emphasis on rich client web-based applications and data driven reporting. You will maintain and improve existing systems in collaboration with the development team; participate in planning and implementing upgrades and new software installations; perform research, testing, and evaluation of potential new systems; write technical specifications and documentation; perform other related duties as requested.
- get things done! Your architecture and design choices are sound, even inspired, but you understand that software development is a team sport, and that delivering value to end-users QUICKLY and OFTEN is key to evolving useful software solutions.
- have a Bachelor's degree and 2-4 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- can tell a Red-Black Tree from an Oak tree, and know that Big O is not the name of a cereal.
- are excited by the prospect of transforming software dev at a smart mission-focused organization.
- have worked with CI tools, Github, and deployment tooling.
- have experience with data-wrangling, SQL, and various database systems.
- are comfortable with full-stack development and unit testing, and have the samples to prove it.
- have excellent UNIX/Linux skills, including some system administration, DevOps and cloud services.
- have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- preferably have worked with Lucene, Solr, Elastic/ELK, or similar.
- preferably have mobile development experience with native APIs or frameworks such as PhoneGap/Cordova
- may have an open source portfolio (we'd love to see it! include a link)
- may have experience and skills with Design Patterns, agile development, and continuous integration.
Excellent comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, supplemental income insurance, pre-tax transit/parking, pre-tax FSA for medical and dependent care, and 401k available.